Monday, December 17, 2007

Dec 17

We started today by working at the check in station at the BLM La Posa North. It is located about 1 mile south of Quartzsite. I worked here last winter with Jim Cannody. He is in Alaska right now and Bob is working with me. We checked in 4 short term (2 - 4 week) permits and one long term that ends on Apr. 15th. Bob and Sandy starting the day and 2nd picture is Ron and Bob talking outside the check-in station.
I had a special badge made up for my vest that says "Don't yell at me. I'm just a Volunteer."

We had a lady come in and said she was attached by a dog that lived near by in a camper with its' owner. The dog had been running loose and it came up and got her on the arm. She was lucky to be wearing a long sleeved sweatshirt. We contacted the camp host, Larry Seal and he proceeded to contact the BLM ranger on duty. The ranger arrived and waited till the Quartzsite K-9 police unit arrived.

The ranger and policewoman talked to the victim and then talked to the suspect. He was issued a citation for having his dog off the leash and leaving it unattended for long periods. He was given a warning about collecting native wood on the BLM land and about not cleaning up his dog feces. If he doesn't comply he will get evicted.

We were wondering if we would have to send Ron's Life Flight helicopter over if things got out of hand. Luckily we didn't have to call for backup.

I just looked outside after Bob came home from Ron's and Terry's and 3 police cruisers went flying by with lights going. Somethings going on back in the desert.

Bob was over at Ron's and said that Ron has mastered his remote control helicopter very well. He has it lifting off the ground, cruising around and landing to perfection. Now Bob wants a small helicopter. Guess I'll have to get him one for Christmas. Bob got his large helicopter charged and hopes to be able to try to fly it soon.
This is BOB getting some of the sand and dirt off of the shale. It looked like a real promising spot for gold to collect. So he went out and swept out some crevices. He brought it home and put it thru the spiral pan and didn't find any gold.
Bob got some packages mailed off to the families in Laramie this morning. He had to wait in line for 45 minutes but hopefully they will get there by Christmas.

No comments: