Thursday, November 6, 2008

Nov 6, 2008

The last few days, we finished fencing the corn field. It is now ready for the cows to be transfered over. It will take a few trips to get them all over to the new field.
Gary has been installing a new gate in the lamb pen. I helped him with a couple of posts as well as Elton. We had to take turns tamping the dirt in. I am really out of shape for doing much of that.
Another project was to shovel all the stuff away from the wind breaks. That I can handle and I had an audience of 53 bulls watching me.
Today I wanted to just hitch up the 5th wheel and head to Arizona. We had 35 degree weather and wind with gusts of 50 mph and SNOW! I am not ready for that. While scooping hay into tubs to feed the sheep, it was blowing so hard and I couldn't keep my eyes open. I probably ate 2 pounds of hay and another pound in my eyes. The second trip to get hay, I put on goggles. I may have looked ridiculous but they were very helpful. This afternoon was a little less windy, but still blowing snow and biting cold.
I had to go to the store that sells coveralls and coats (the lumber store) and get a coat today. My zippered sweatshirt just won't cut it in this weather.
I also had to give a 300 lb. calf some pills today. They were the size of peanuts before you break the shells. But hope he feels better tomorrow.
Bob got 1/2 day off today. The whole town was without power from about 11:30am till 2:30pm. The house sure got cold fast without heat.
We're not going to get a break in the weather till this weekend. Another cold windy day tomorrow...
Sure wish I was in Q!

No comments: