Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sunday Jan 4, 2009

It is a bit frosty out right now. It got down to 3 degrees in the night but warmed up to 30 degrees during the day.

When I did chores last night a ewe had a lamb in the frigid weather and lost it. She had one soon after, I ran it up to the barn and got them into a pen. Everything was fine when I left, got her fed and watered and she was taking care of her new lamb.

I went out this afternoon to do chores, checked on the lamb and it had been buried under the straw and was gone. It broke my heart. She is crying for the lambs tonight and nothing can be done about it. Another ewe was starting to lamb when I left. I did get her into a pen in the barn and hope all goes well. I plan on getting the barn cleaned out tomorrow with new straw in case we have some more lambs coming. It will be about 42 degrees tomorrow, so it will be a good day to get that done.

Bob took a picture of downtown Oshkosh, NE today. This is a quiet town on Sunday.








Also a local mascot for the town that claims to be the goose hunting capital of the world. The North Platte river valley is home for lots of migrating waterfowl and hunting seasons are always productive. It also has lots of cover and vegetation that provides good habitat for numerous flocks of turkeys and deer.




Much of the North Platte river valley is leased for hunting purposes and many non residents purchase property here to build hunting lodges and have a place to go during the hunting season. One such non resident that has purchased land here is Steve Farris. He was with the band "Mister, Mister", in the 1970's. He is a great person, friendly, always willing to help out when needed.

Anybody wanting his autograph, let me know and I can get it for you.
We also have a Roastery here. The town smells so good when they are roasting coffee beans. I get my caffeine fix that way without drinking coffee. They sell the coffee in the small shop for about $9.00/lb. It does taste exceptional. You can also buy it off the web at Mark Ferrari.com. It is well worth the price!



No comments: