Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Navajo Dam NM


We left Quartzsite, Az on March 30th. Went to the Grand Canyon and spent 3 days up there. It is still breathtaking! I did go on a hike on the Bright Angel trail. I had my pack, water and hiking stick and started the long climb down into the big canyon. I went down 1 & 1/2 miles to the first marker. It was a little scary because there was still snow and ice on the trail. But the hike up was incredible. It was so steep. I rested quite a few times but made it to the top. It took me 2 & 1/2 hours to complete the 3 mile trip. And of course I had to buy a T shirt that said I had hiked the canyon.

While camped at the campground just out of the Grand Canyon, I noticed a shed where some people had a couple of goats. I walked over and they were trying to get a brand new baby to get his first meal from his momma. These guys said they had never had anything to do with animals cause they were from the city. They were also taking care of the goats for their boss. Well now, me being a good old farm girl, offered my help with the new baby goat. I got it to drink and kept tabs on it while we were at the campground. The guy, Ruben, was the manager for the Spaghetti Western restaurant. He told me and Bob to come over on Wed. evening and they would give us a meal for helping them. What a nice gesture from them. We went over and had a wonderful spaghetti dinner.

The next day we headed to Navajo Dam, NM. We left about 9am and got here around 4:30pm. It was a long drive but we had fairly good weather, only got rained on once.

We have seen Ron and Terry twice since we've been here. They are parked up at Navajo Lake. Bob and Terry might go fishing tomorrow. The river is running too high to wade out in it. They had to release a lot of water from the dam because of heavy snowfall this year so it has put a damper on fly fishing. The drift boats are still taking customers down the river but not catching as many as last time we were here.

Today we are in town doing laundry and ran to Walmart to pick up a few things.

We might go out geocaching this afternoon. I went out the other day and had to climb a steep hill about a mile up and then over boulders and thru bushes to find a geocache inside a hollowed out boulder. It was a fun find.

Have a great time till I post again...

No comments: